Kid Literacy values literacy in all modalities, including listening, doing, and reading.
- Listening and Doing
- Our unique approach to holistic literacy begins with the award-winning podcast, Solve It! for Kids. This podcast peeks into the world of real-life scientists, engineers, and experts as they solve problems in their everyday jobs. Kids and families are invited to take on a challenge and solve a related problem, taking creativity and curiosity to a whole new level!
- Reading and Connecting
- Our holistic approach continues with connecting the episodes from the Solve It! for Kids podcast with a suite of related books. These books are donated to kids, families, schools and libraries who are part of our program. This connects the literacy skills of listening and doing to reading.
- We also connect the authors of this suite of books with schools for presentations, read-alouds, and book discussions. The author’s book(s) are donated to the school’s library.
Why this approach works
- This holistic approach increases literacy by enhancing the ‘imagination muscle’ of kids.
- Hundreds of research studies have shown that active listening strengthens the ‘imagination muscle’ and increases literacy.
- The subsequent hands-on challenge allows for the student to be physically engaged in an activity related to the podcast. This illuminates what the student heard during the podcast.
- The related books take on heightened meaning and relevance AFTER listening and doing. The reading now has more meaning and more sensory connections, which have been shown to enhance literacy.
KidLiteracy, Inc. brings children’s and teens’ authors and illustrators into your school. We give a set of the author’s books to the school library. This fabulous experience opens up the world of reading to your students. They can’t wait to open these new books. At this point, KidLiteracy, Inc is launching only in the Northeast Florida area. If you are out of town, please check back as we add areas.
KidLiteracy, Inc. works with each author or illustrator to tailor an event to his or her preferences. You may choose which book(s) you’d like to present, the type of presentation, and the grade level(s) of the group. Suggested presentations included assembly-size talks about your writing, one of your books, reading and Q&A, or smaller groups which include writing workshops, science demonstrations, or drawing together. We want all of the authors and illustrators who participate in our program to have a wonderful experience. If you are interested in working with KidLiteracy, Inc., fill out the information form in the Join Us section.
KidLiteracy. Inc. is happy to work with publishers to bring their authors to under-resourced schools in the North Florida / First Coast area. We will provide a classroom set of books to the school library. In addition to increased author visibility, KidLiteracy, Inc. book purchases lead to increased sales. However, publisher donations are always welcome.